I am sitting here on my couch tired and hungover after a fantastic Easter weekend celebrating my birthday. I have been scoffing far too much food, what with a pizza & prosecco party with the family on Saturday, and a fab champagne brunch at the Landmark Hotel yesterday. I am absolutely exhausted but after drinking far too much bubbly, I have a hankering for some sausage and egg muffin. These home-made versions are very tasty and you can stock up on all the ingredients in your kitchen, ready to prepare as soon as you have a craving. All you have to do is toast the muffins, fry the sausagemeat and eggs, compile and tuck in.
- 4 english muffins
- 4 eggs
- 4 good quality cumberland pork sausages
- 4 slices of pre-sliced cheddar cheese
- Butter or margarine for spreading on the muffins
- Vegetable or Olive oil, enough for frying
- Tomato ketchup or HP sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Take the sausages out of their encasing and form into the patties, using the palm of your hands to shape the sausage meat.
- Place a shallow frying pan over medium heat and add enough oil for frying (approximately 1 tablespoon). When the oil has heated, fry the pattie on both sides until the sausage meat has fully cooked. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Quickly rinse the same frying pan, place on medium heat and add enough oil for frying (approximately 1 tablespoon). When the oil has heated, crack the egg and fry on both sides. It is up to you whether you want the yolk to be runny or firm – personally I opt for in-between for the muffins as I do like a gooey yolk but also don’t want it running down my top as I bite into the muffin!) Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Now to prepare your muffin. Slice the muffin in half if it isn’t already pre-sliced and place in the toaster. Lightly toast the muffin before spreading a little bit of butter or margarine on both sides. If you like, you can squeeze a little bit of tomato ketchup or hp sauce on one half on the muffin. Then add a slice of cheese on one half of the muffin. Place the cooked sausage pattie on top of the cheese, and the fried egg on top of the sausage pattie. Place the other half of the muffin on top and tuck in.