My husband and I love seafood, especially prawns. Not only do they taste divine but they are easy and quick to make – perfect after a long hard day at the office! For me, coating the prawns in a chilli, vodka and lime sauce gives this dish a delicious kick.
These are best served on bamboo skewers and should be placed under a medium grill or even better, straight on the BBQ for that flame grilled taste. That said, the prawns are equally tasty pan fried. It shouldn’t take more than five to six minutes and you will know they are cooked when the prawns turn a pink colour.
- 12 raw tiger prawns (I give 6 per person if serving as a main course)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- dash of vodka
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- Handful of coriander, finely chopped and a little extra for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for no more than 1 hour.
- Skewer the prawns on bamboo sticks and place on the BBQ or under a medium grill. Cook both sides until the prawns turn pink and are cooked through, about 3 minutes each side. Alternatively, place the prawn skewers on a griddle pan as I have done here and cook both sides on a medium heat, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve with lime wedges, crusty bread and baby leaf salad.