Rum and Almond Date Balls
These soft and crunch rum and almond date balls are the perfect way to end a dinner party. Healthy and very tasty, the addition of spiced rum quickly transports me to an exotic island in the sun.
- 250g pitted dates
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon of toasted almond flakes, lightly crushed
- 1 - 2 tablespoon of good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon all spice powder
- a good glug of spiced rum (optional)
- 4 tablespoon of desiccated coconut
- Place all of the above ingredients, except for the desiccated coconut into a food processor and whizz until you get a smooth paste. You may need to add more oil to get the right texture.
- Using the palm of your hands, take a tablespoon of the date mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat until you have used up all the paste. These make approximately 12, depending on how big or small you shape the balls.
- Place desiccated coconut in a small bowl. Take one of the round date balls and roll it around the desiccated coconut until fully covered. Repeat.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat. They should keep for at least 2-3 weeks.