In My Veg Box: Onions4.7 stars based on 36 reviews
This month, I am guest hosting In My Veg Box, an event run by Nayna Kanabar of Citrus Spice UK. This month’s theme is Onions.
Onions are a staple in my house and are added in practically every savoury dish that I create. I am amazed at the varieties of onions we have available in the UK, from large brown onions; to deep purply red ones, and soft green spring onions, each adding their own unique flavour to a recipe.
This vegetable has lots of health benefits, including increasing our bone density and lowering our risks of certain cancers. According to BBC Good Food, “Onions were historically used as a preventative medicine during epidemics of cholera and the plague. They were apparently eaten by Roman emperor Nero as a cure for colds, and its reputation has made onions a popular component in the diets of many countries.”
Did you know that onions can be used to help cure throat infections? Hmm, I’m not sure what the state of your breath will be after you have gargled with this concoction, but I will leave you with this recipe found on the BBC website:
Finely chop one onion and 1/2 fresh red chilli, and place in a large bowl. Add the juice of two lemons and a teaspoon of salt. Place in the refrigerator for one hour. Strain the mixture and use as a gargle. After gargling, chew on a sprig of parsley to freshen your breath. The mixture is best made fresh and should only be used when you have a sore throat.
I don’t think I am brave enough to try this. Are you?
- Please prepare any vegetarian recipes using onions and link your dish to the linky code below. You will need to enter the name of your dish, as well as the url of your blog.
- Current theme is onions
- You must link this post to The Spicy Pear and to Citrus Spice UK.
- Use of the logo is not mandatory but it helps to spread the word if you can use it.
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- Archived entries are also allowed, only if they are reposted and updated with this event link, as well as the Citrus Spice UK link.
- Recipes must be added to the linky by 30 April 2014.
In the event of any problems with using the linky code, please email me your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, recipe name, url and an image no larger than 300 pixels.
Thank you. I look forward to seeing your entries. Happy Cooking.